Recently, Mae showed Louisville’s WDRB In the Morning how to make a healthier Breakfast Casserole that’s perfect for spoiling mom — or even yourself! Packed with spinach and arugula, this delicious casserole relies on low-fat cottage cheese as the secret ingredient. We won’t tell if you won’t.
Healthier Breakfast Casserole
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- ½ cup chopped arugula
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- In 13″x9″ baking dish, layer the chopped onion, frozen (or fresh) hash browns, and the cottage cheese.
- Next, layer with the spinach, swiss cheese, and about half the egg mixture.
- Finally, layer in the arugula and sprinkle with the cheddar, and then top with the rest of the egg mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Yields 12 servings.